If you haven’t jumped on the smart home assistant bandwagon yet, what are you waiting for? We understand that there may be a learning curve when using these new devices for the first time, like Amazon’s Alexa or Google Home. But they are becoming indispensible additions to every 21st century home. Here’s a look at some of the many ways you can use a smart home assistant around your house.
Where can the device go?
As long as it is within the range of your Wi-Fi signal and an electrical outlet, you can put the device anywhere you want. Even better, given the low price of the Echo Dot or Google Home Mini, you can get one for each room and save yourself having to make a decision.
Use in the kitchen
There are endless ways to use a smart home assistant in your kitchen. Give one of these a try:
- Set a timer while cooking or baking.
- Add items to your shopping list as you think of them.
- Play music while you’re cooking dinner.
- Get help finding a recipe for dinner with ingredients you have on hand.
- Ask for more information about an ingredient you don’t know much about, like unusual vegetables or spices you see at the market.
- Ask to convert ounces to cups when following a recipe.
- Ask about ingredient substitutions, just in case you forgot to buy that buttermilk at the store for pancakes.
- Find out how to best store leftovers.
- Ask what restaurants are nearby, just in case your meal does come out as planned.
Use in the bedroom
Whether you’re a morning person or a night person, you’ll find creative ways to use a smart home assistant in your daily routine. Here are some suggestions about how to use it in the bedroom:
- Set an alarm, and choose whatever sound you like to wake you up.
- Not sure what to wear that day? Ask what the weather is going to be.
- You can also ask for a traffic report, so you know whether or not you need to leave a little early.
- Get a news briefing while you’re getting dressed.
- Get a rundown of what is on your calendar for the day.
- If you’re running late, you can call an Uber from the device.
- Dim or turn the lights on or off with a simple voice command.
- Hook your coffee pot up with a smart plug, and have the coffee started before you even head to the kitchen.
Use in the living room
Smart home assistants are great at helping you relax and have fun, too. Try these ideas for your living room:
- Play music through various accounts, such as Amazon Music, Spotify, Pandora and iHeartRadio.
- Listen to audiobooks from your Audible account.
- Ask to have your Kindle books read to you.
- Control your TV with your voice.
- Play games like Jeopardy, Would You Rather, Twenty Questions, Twister, Question of the Day, Rock Paper Scissors Lizard Spock, Where in the World, and Fortune Teller Zoltar.
- Ask for sports score updates for your favorite teams.
These suggestions are just the tip of the iceberg. There are so many uses for a smart home assistant; it can be a great addition to your home.
Compliments of Virtual Results